Alexa can do many best things, helping in home automation, security, and much more. It makes your life easier to enjoy your day and improve your lifestyle. Your Alexa device plays music for you and calls your desired contact. You can call emergency contacts using this feature. But what about 911? Can Alexa call 911 at the time of emergency to get help?
The answer is Yes. You can use Alexa to call the emergency number 911, call the police or call for medical help. But Alexa does not come with this feature by default but you can use Echo Connect. You can also use a skill or third-party VoIP phone service for emergency help.
Apart from controlling your smart devices and listening to songs, Alexa has a few more useful features. Calling your relatives, friends, and co-workers is among them. This option lets you add an emergency number, like 911, so you can call for help when needed. Let’s take a closer look.
Table of Contents
- Can Alexa Call 911 Or Emergency Contacts For Help
- Steps To Set Up An Emergency Contact In Alexa
- Voice Commands To Make Alexa Call For Help
- Steps To Set Up 911 In Echo Connect
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can Alexa Call 911 Or Emergency Contacts For Help
It’s pretty sure, that Alexa can call any contact you save on your contacts list as an emergency number. This could be anyone like your family member or friend you can trust and expect urgent help. For 911, you cannot add it directly to Alexa at this time.
However, this does not mean that you cannot use Alexa to call 911 in times of emergency. First, we’ll show you how to add an emergency contact of your favorite person. After that, we’ll discuss the method for adding 911 to Alexa Echo to call through a voice command.
Steps To Set Up An Emergency Contact In Alexa
If you want to add someone close to your Alexa for help, it’s pretty easy. All you need is the Alexa app and the contact number of the person you want to add. Ensure you inform the person and discuss it with them before doing this process. Now, follow the steps below:
- Open the Alexa app on your Android or iOS device.
- Tap the Communicate icon at the screen bottom.
- Tap the Contact icon in the right corner of your screen.
- Search for the individual contact you want to add.
Once done, the particular person will receive a text message that you’ve added him as your emergency contact. If you want to change the number, follow these steps:
- Open the Alexa app again on your phone.
- Navigate to the emergency contact list.
- Click on Manage to edit the contact.
- Click Remove to delete the number.
- Add new by following the on-screen guide.
You may love to read: How To Add Contacts To Alexa [Make Alexa Calls]
Voice Commands To Make Alexa Call For Help
You can use a few phrases to make Alexa call your particular contact for emergency help. The quick phase could be “Alexa, please call [person name].” Plus, you can also use these phrases to call your emergency number.
- “Alexa, please call for help.”
- “Alexa, please call my emergency contact.”
- “Alexa, please call my contact for help.”
- “Alexa, please call my help contact.”
By giving these commands, Alexa will call and text the emergency contact you have added. The contact will get in touch with you through your Alexa-enabled device. So, you can use this feature of Alexa if the added person is reliable or trustworthy.
Steps To Set Up 911 In Echo Connect
If you have an Echo Connect device, you can add 911 to make an emergency call. Using this method, you can call any phone number, landline, or emergency number like 911. Follow these steps to add 911 in Echo to call it using voice command:
- Plug your Echo device into an outlet close to your modem or telephone jack.
- Use a splitter or adapter to connect the telephone to Echo through the jack.
- After that, open the Alexa app on your Android or iOS smartphone.
- Click on the three-lined menu to open up all the options to choose from.
- Select the Add Device option and choose Amazon Echo from the list.
- Select Echo Connect to complete the setup and get your Alexa ready.
Now, you can ask Alexa to call 911 by giving this command, “Alexa, please call 911.” If you don’t have Echo Connect, you can purchase a used one from the market. That’s because you won’t get it from Amazon these days.
You may love to read: Can Alexa Make Calls Without A Smartphone? Truth Revealed 
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How do I get Alexa to call 911?
You can’t give commands to Alexa to dial 911 or other emergency services directly. You’ll have to use an Echo Connect device connected to a landline or telephone. Alternatively, you can create an individual contact to call during an emergency.
How does Alexa emergency call work?
You can use Alexa to call one of your contacts as an emergency contact. For this, open the Alexa app and tap Communicate. Click on add Contact icon and search for the person you want to call. As soon as you select the recipient as an emergency contact, Alexa will inform them.
Can Alexa silently call 911?
No, Alexa can’t call 911 on its own. You’ll have to use the Alexa app to make this happen. First, you must get Echo Connect and add it to the Alexa app. After that, connect your telephone to Echo using an adapter. Finally, you can give the command, “Alexa, call 911,” to make the call.
There is no direct method to call 911 using Amazon Alexa. You must add your close relative or friend to call through Alexa for help. Or you need a third-party dialing service to call someone for quick help. So, adding emergency contact is the first and only option.
To call 911 using Alexa and through voice command, you’ll need Echo Connect. This device will let you call 911 from your landline once you connect them and then to Alexa. We hope to see this feature back in Alexa to make a direct call to 911 and get emergency help.